Testing an iAd on an iOS device

Rushing through to figure out how to install the iAd Tester app on your iOS device and test with your local development machine? Me too. Here’s hoping the google gods pointed you in the right direction.

First, a couple of assumptions:
A. You’ve installed Xcode and your iOS device is already setup as a development device
B. You’ve installed iAd Producer
C. The iOS device and Mac are on the same network

Now here are the directions:
1. Open finder and go to /Developer/iAdJSDeveloper/iAdTester-Device/

2. Drag iAdTester to your iTunes Apps directory as shown

iAdTester drag and drop to iTunes

3. Sync your device on iTunes and make sure that the iAd Tester app is now on your device.

4. Start up iAd Tester on your device and iAd Producer on your mac.

5. Disconnect your iOS device from its USB connection

6. Start up iAd tester on your iOS device, you will get an initial warning about running this app. This is normal

7. Make sure you have Share Ads Locally from the iAd Producer menu.

iAdTester drag and drop to iTunes

8. Choose preferences (cmd+,) from the iAd producer menu on the mac.

9. Click pair device - You may have to restart iAd Tester on your iAd device or restart iAd producer. I’ve found this part to be a little buggy.

10. On your iOS device, you should see a listing under Computers for your Mac as shown:

iAdTester drag and drop to iTunes
11. Select your Computer and you’ll be presented with a code to enter. Obviously this code is given to you on your Mac once your chose “Pair Device”.

12. After the pairing, close iAd tester on your iOS device and restart. You should now be able to select your computer serving up iAds and will list any iAds you have created for that device type. If you created an iPad iAd and you paired up an iPhone, you won’t see it on your list.

Categories:
Previous entry: OWC SSD Drive Icons
Next entry: Where does the Mac AppStore download temp files to

Comments

This information is exactly what I was looking for!

Cheers

Posted by mRa on 03/10 at 11:06 AM

Hey Ryan,

FYI the device doesn’t have to be setup as a development device, iAd Tester has a provisioning profile that’s automatically installed with it that allows it to run.

Cheers!
- Ben

Posted by Ben Collier on 04/10 at 12:25 PM

When I tried to install iAd Tester on my testing device, I got this error: “The app “iAd Tester” was not installed on the iPhone “device name” because the signer is not valid.”

Do you know what is causing this problem? I’ve already make sure that the testing device is setup as a development device.

Thanks!

Posted by Aileen on 06/02 at 01:21 PM

Perhaps this link will be of help to you:

Posted by Ryan on 06/02 at 01:34 PM

Thanks Ryan, but that is not the same issue I have though.. I was not able to install iAd Tester app that comes with iAdJSDeveloper here: /Developer/iAdJSDeveloper/iAdTester-Device/

I even tried to install this app by xcode, but it says “A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found.” Do you need a specific provisioning profile in order to install that app?

Posted by Aileen on 06/02 at 02:07 PM

Alieen,

I’m sure what to tell you, I did some quick research on this for my company, then they saw the 1M (now 500K) price tag and left 20 minutes after posting this article. Perhaps Ben in the comment above you can help. Otherwise, I’d try the best resource for development, the Apple Developer Forums.

Posted by Ryan on 06/02 at 02:43 PM

Hey guys,

This often happens when you downloaded iAd Producer a while back, the provisioning profiles are only valid for a certain time.

Try redownloading iAd Producer 1.1 and grab the iAd Tester from that. Let me know if that works.

- Ben

Posted by Ben Collier on 06/02 at 03:41 PM

Ben,
This is exactly what happened to me, and your reply solved the problem. Thanks a lot to you guys!

Posted by Aileen on 06/02 at 05:25 PM

Great stuff! I’m writing a book on iAd’s at the moment, so have been digging around with it a lot!

Posted by Ben Collier on 06/02 at 10:38 PM

Oh yea? When will be the publishing date? The official documentations are really not well documented…

Posted by Aileen on 06/24 at 02:57 PM