Sure Target for Cinema 4D

Category Icon

SureTarget

Andrew Kramer over at videocopilot.net, one of the coolest sites for After Effects tutorials, has a free plugin called Sure Target. In a word, it is awesomeness. It lets you easily shift from 3D element to 3D element with nothing more than setting a few parameters and keyframes for a fluid movement from one object to the next. I’ve scoured the net looking for this very same thing for Cinema 4D to help improve my workflow. Alas, I couldn’t find anything that wouldn’t set me back 70+ bucks so I’ve written an xpresso/c.o.f.f.e.e. setup for Cinema 4D that is based off of the ideas of Andrew Kramer’s “Sure Target” and a variation from one of Tim Clapham’s camera rigs from Making it look great 6. Be warned, this is my first time programming c.o.f.f.e.e.  and I only spent a couple hours on it, so there are bound to be some bugs as I have not tested it with every object in Cinema 4D, and it currently only allows 10 objects. I highly suggest wrapping objects inside of nulls so you can have more control of the objects orientation. As I get some feed back (hopefully) I’ll put together a little FAQ and perhaps a demo and some improvements.

2010.04.04 Update: Now with dolly tracking
With my own personal projects I found the need for individual dolly tracking for each target (just like the original) so I added that functionality into Beta V2.

2010.05.08 Update: Now a release version and new video tutorial
Seems this sucker is getting updated about once a month.

Watch Tutorial | Download Sure Target for Cinema 4D (V1.3)
Download Sure Target Example Scene

Categories:
Previous entry: Techsmith Encoder on a Mac
Next entry: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Server Spotlight for Networked Drives

Comments

This looks like it will save a loot of time.

many thanks.

Martyn.

Posted by martyn morris on 03/23 at 11:21 AM

Hope it helps. As a side note, don’t forget to clamp your animation keys in between targets so it doesn’t start swaying back and fourth :) When some free time comes, I’ll make a demo of using it from scratch.

Posted by Ryan on 03/23 at 01:15 PM

OMG!!! this is awsome!.
but please make a tutorial for this :D

thanks so much!

Posted by vjorchid on 04/26 at 10:34 AM

Very nice job !

I add a wiggle control with a vibrate Tag on the camera control with 2 userdata float cursor to add this functionality.

I’m looking now to reproduce the inertia effect that take place in suretarget from videocopilot, but can’t find solution…

Posted by Benoit on 03/31 at 06:12 AM

Hi Benoit,
the wiggle sounds interesting. Could you post?

Thanks,
Martyn.

Posted by Martyn on 04/05 at 04:39 AM

I’m actually outside, but I’ll post it thursday evening.

Posted by Benoit on 04/05 at 05:28 AM

@Ryan - I had the same idea regarding Sure Target for C4d Im sure a lot of people have.. nice work getting it done however. I’ll download it and play with it. I hope you dont mind feedback?

@Benoit - yep my first attempt was going to be with the vibrate tag to simulate wiggle. you were wondering about inerita effect? I was thinking maybe the delay effector would be very helpful here? I havent cracked open the file yet. but just watching the tutorial I see a tremendous amount of Potential.

@Maryn - vibrate is just a tag..

Posted by Rovino on 05/21 at 10:00 PM

Just came across this. This is an awesome little tool.
I use Kramers version in AE every now and again…and to have something similar in C4D rocks!

Thanks for the great work!

Jacob